Tuesday, January 8, 2008

CBD Parts 2&3

So the Crazy Blind Dating adventures of last week have come to a close, but certainly not for good. It's such a great way to get "back in the dating scene," if you will. Not that I was ever really out of if, but I wasn't actively pursuing any real options. I used to say, "I find dating to be frivolously," (in my pretentious I really really don't care, but I do, voice) which I somewhat still believe.

In all honesty, dating is full of many rituals and protocol. First you learn the person's name. Usually what follows is what they do for a living, furthered by if they always wanted to do what they do. Then followed up with extra-curricular activities. I mean there is also room for story telling and random banter, but that can only happen if you really hit it off with a person.

So, let's take for instance Part 2 of CBD. I meet this guy at a swank place - way too swank for either of us. We ended up having one drink each then going to an Irish pub for some beers. Well, right off the bat, he starts telling me some random stories about him and his friend who frequent a pretty well-known bar in the city and how they always end up being the center of attention with their ability to cut a mean rug. I ask him, "Now do you attract all the attention because you are an amazing dancer? Or is it because you get ridiculously drunk and make a fool of yourself?" He answers, what I believe is honestly, "A little bit of both" (with a cute smile I might add).

He continues to tell really random stories and I share a few myself. I thought he was messing with half the time just to see if I would react to what he was saying, but not much really fazes me anymore these days. (I even told him later in the night that I thought he was messing with me. I have no gauge. I am too honest sometimes.) We ended up having a really great time hanging out with one another and the subject of "what we do" never came up until we were well into our first beer at the second bar. This, for me, was a definite sign of a good date. We ended up walking to the subway together and making out on a crusty subway platform (HOT!), but I seriously doubt I'll hear from him again. He didn't seem like the type to call.

CBD Part 3 was much like Part 1. The guy I met up with ended up talking a lot about himself, not really giving me a chance to speak about anything. And at this point I had been on three dates in three nights, so small talk wasn't coming so easy to me. The bonus of this date, though, was I got to experience an awesome bar that I had never been to before. Score for hidden places in NYC! The guy was nice enough, but I really couldn't hear anymore about the lighting company that he worked for and blah blah blah. That's what it sounded like by the end of the night. I was also coming down with a cold, so my patience was waining for many reasons.

(And as an aside, he was definitely flirting with the bartender at one point. I didn't really care . Is that bad? She looked extremely uncomfortable with the situation though.)

I went out to dinner with a few of my girlfriends the next night (screw the cold!), and talked about my date Part 3. My friend / guru had had a very similar experience the night before, as she had tried out CBD as well. She said that anytime she would try to relate to whatever the guy was talking about, he would listen, but then continue on with his point. Exactly what was happening with me! Weird.

I don't get it. Isn't normal conversation just a big jumble of different stories and points of view? Isn't that what makes life interesting? Finding that relation with another human being, rather than just talking about whatever stupid point you are trying to make. Making a connection. Isn't that the whole point of dating?

I may be wrong, but let's face it, I rarely am. I predict that the change from extremely cold to warm is the cause of my cold. I'm probably right about that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Connection?

What?

Anonymous said...

hey ckicka - just got caught up on your blog. So much fun - you are a rock star dater! Love you - ross

Jennifer G. Horn said...

So glad CBD gave you material!