Thursday, January 3, 2008

Crrrazy Blind Dating

Aah, it's been so long! Oh how I've missed you and I know you have been missing me, my loyal readers (all five of you!!!! Hi everyone). It's been a busy holiday season for me with many fun stories to be told. I have made a new year's resolution (that I have been testing out pre-New Year's Eve), which is to put myself out in the dating game as much as possible. I am full force! Not that I lack confidence, but I think dating can be extremely awkward, so I figured, the more I do it, the less awkward it will be. Here's hoping!

In the holiday spirit, a couple of my girlfriends and I went ice skating about a week ago. We thought it would be a fun alternative to the bar scene, and we were right! It was such a fun night, but my legs were super sore the next day from dodging all the fallen children (they really go down like dominoes). As we were lacing up to hit the ice my one friend says, "this has to be the worst place ever to find a single man." As I look around, all I can see are little children and happy couples gleefully skating on the very rough ice. That's not what this night is about anyway!

As the Zamboni starts eliminating all the jacked up ice, we sit around and talk in the cold. My friend mentioned a new dating site to me (www.crazyblinddate.com) and how she tried it out and really liked it. Basically instead of going through all the ridiculousness of finding someone through online dating, they do it for you! You just enter in your information and hope that Prince Charming is waiting for on the other e-side. This sounds a-ma-zing. Why not try it out!?

I decided to set up a few dates, and by a few, I mean I set up three right in a row. Oops! I got a little over zealous about the whole thing, because it's a guaranteed date (wow, I sound pathetic right now). You literally just have to answer a few questions about yourself, and what you are looking for in a person, and they match you up. You can also give feedback after the date, so they can continue to narrow down the pool of fine men for you. I hope they do well, because it's such a great concept, especially for pathetic New Yorkers much like myself.

Last night was my very first crazy blind date! It was definitely a good time and I was impressed by their pick. He was a very nice guy with lots to say, mostly about himself, but he was nice. I don't think I got more than 50 words in - and you say, "50! that's a lot!" Oh, no honey, not on a two hour date and not when you're me. He really liked talking about his boring job and how his friends own a few bars that he likes to go to. He didn't really ask me too many questions about myself, but when you are that awesome, why do you need to find out about anyone else! I mean, really.

He ended up paying for everything, which was very nice. Don't get me wrong, I had a fun time, but he isn't the man for me. He got my number after the date, which I am so bad at saying no to. And in this day of cell phones, you can never give someone the wrong number because they immediately call your phone so you have their number. How awkward when your phone just doesn't ring. Anyway, he ended up texting me last night about an hour after the date asking me out again. Awww. I feel liked! But then I felt really bad that I had to shoot him down via text message today. Ick. I feel dirty.

My roommate made an interesting observation this morning when she said, "it's so interesting how two people can have a completely different perception of what's going on." So true, so true. He liked me, but I felt like he never got to know me in the least because I didn't really talk too much the whole time. Ah, the foils of love! Or is it spoils? Or does that just not make any sense? I certainly don't know!

Onward! I am going out on another crazy blind date tonight, so hopefully it will go better or will be on the same playing level as last night. I'm really not expecting too much, which I think is helpful in these situations.

Ugh, I'm still feeling like a jerk turning that guy down. K, now I'm over it.

UPDATE: I totally forgot to include this in the run down. I told the dude last night who my favorite band was in high school and college (Weezer - hey, they were pretty rockin') and he proceeded to tell me that he saw them live once. He said he thought Rivers Cuomo was arrogant because he had his back to the crowd for a couple of songs. He incidentally gave them a bad review in some magazine he was writing for. Not the way to win a girl's heart, buddy! Try again next time. I heart Rivers Cuomo.

1 comment:

hannah said...

girvin, no wonder you aren't at work! it sounds like all this dating is keeping you pretty occupied. :) i'll send good vibes later on. love, your loyal reader