Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Internet is for Lovers

It's a slow day at work today, so I decided to take a brief moment out of my day to write a quick entry. My boss has my blog link, so maybe this isn't the best idea, but I'm going with it anyway. That's how I live - dangerously on the edge! (actually I drafted this last night and am just posting it now...)

Maybe the title to this entry should read "The Internet is for Losers" but I wanted to stay positive about things. I mean, really, doesn't everyone date on the 'net these days? That's what I was thinking when I decided to sign up on nerve.com with my hilariously cute online dating profile. I thought, this should be fun, total anonymity and no real judgment! We are all here to date, so let's do it!

Oh, was I wrong! I got a total of zero dates through online dating. I know several girlfriends who have done the online dating thing as well and have fared much better than I did, so this left me feeling sad, lonely, and seriously pathetic. My friend / dating guru was an expert at getting dates through her nerve.com profile, so I took her advice. "Email at least two guys a day." Done and done. I received maybe one response from this expert tactic, and the guy turned out to be a little bit of a weirdo.

What am I doing wrong here? It's the Internet! I would have even respected the response, "Sorry, not interested." But no response at all! I even had my brother-in-law help me with some parts of my profile to make them more "attractive." He told me I was writing in too many jokes. Too many jokes! I did, in fact, write in the fill in the blank section, "Horses are sexy; Unicorns are sexier!" Ok, it's stupid, I know, but it amused me to no end - it still does.

I have since taken down my dating profile, but it sits there waiting to be put right back up again for more non-rejection rejection. It's hard for me to take anything seriously, especially the modern way of dating. You still hear those stories of meeting a guy through a friend, or on the subway (hello roommate! she went on a date with subway dude last night), or at a party, etc., but I feel like they are becoming more and more rare - maybe just on my behalf. Wow, I've become a cynic. Think positive, think positive.

I miss the college days, when you dated the guy who lived across the hall from you. The guy who lives across the hall from me now is named Juan, and he's 75 years old.

No comments: