Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Speed Dating in Tribeca

So last night was the night! The night to end all nights...or the night I tried out speed dating for the first time. Let me tell you, it was definitely an experience - good and bad at the same time, but so very enjoyable. Now for the breakdown.

My friend (and dating guru) had convinced me to do this about 2 weeks ago. I thought about testing it out for awhile, but we actually locked down a date for the blessed event. We met up a little early to run a few holiday errands, waste some time, and feel nervous and anxious about the upcoming potential fiasco.

We arrive at the bar exactly on time for registration which is at 7pm, so we can take advantage of the happy hour special before succumbing to 15 four minute (!) dates. According to my nose, the bar has an overwhelming smell of pee, but my dating guru assures me that it just smells like every bar. Whatever. As we walk up to registration, we realize there is no one else here for speed dating, just some regulars at the bar. Uh, ok. We are #1 and #2 and completely embarrassed about that. But (ding ding) we are told that we can sit together in a booth! This is going to be great! We ended up not really having much time to talk to each other during the event, but it was reassuring to have one another right there.

As we (and by we I mean "I") chug our (my) beer(s), we take a look at the crowd slowly arriving. We notice an interesting dichotomy between the men and women who will be speed dating with us. There are loads of cute, fun, outgoing women who you would think would already have been snatched up, but then I remember that this is New York and single men are lacking. The men arriving seem awkward, less attractive and much fewer in numbers. This is going to be interesting!

In order to make sure our nerves are really up on high, there is an announcement in the bar that all speed daters need to form around the front for instructions. Oh joy! Now we get to stand in a group, while everyone else in the bar looks at us - the lame-o's who can't get a date. We are all ordered back to our seats after the instruction session (which basically is: girls sit while boys go around to each place when the whistle blows, yes a whistle. Am I in Cancun? Is it time for beach volleyball?). Let the dating begin!

I don't know that I will get into to much detail about the "dates" but honestly every person I spoke with was extremely nice and relatively normal, yet a little awkward. Most of the men had mentioned their lack of ability to approach women at bars, which I can totally understand. I find a lot of guys gross and annoying when they try to talk to me. Ick. Is this why I'm still single?

So, one dude tried to talk philosophy with me, another one tried to entice me with his knowledge of the comedian Paul Mooney, another was most definitely gay (and coincidentally the most attractive man there, of course). My scorecard by the end of the night had no yeses, but honestly I had such a wonderful time. I went in thinking it was going to be like that scene in "40 year old Virgin" but it wasn't as weird and no boobs were exposed. At least, mine were in check, so that was a good thing. I didn't run into an crazy exes either. All in all, a pleasant evening. lokds-=wdf[s Oops! my cat just walked on my keyboard. Yeah, I'm single.

I don't know if I will do the speed dating again, but it was for sure an adventure for the ages! Or just a night that was worth every penny.

xo (ew, is that too Gossip Girl? I'll stop)

PS. I totally took notes in the beginning of the night on general ambiance that was extremely witty and amazing, but I stupidly left the note pad at work. My friend / guru who dated with me told me that I couldn't keep the note pad out while I was dating because I would look creepy. She was probably right.

4 comments:

hannah said...

i'd date you!

Anonymous said...

I think your dating guru sounds awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

You're my hero.

Anonymous said...

i totally would have kept the notepad out, and added a jeweler's monocle and a measuring tape.