Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Why I Started This Blog

Hi all out there in cyberspace! Did that statement just date me? Because it seems so 1995 to say something like that. Anyway, things are going well in Anne dating land lately and in my life in general, so to speak. I decided to take this time to reflect on why this blog is in existence for all of you out there pondering, thinking or wondering about it.

Moving to New York in my early to mid-twenties (no longer early and the mid is waining on accuracy) has been a shell shocking experience that has led me on some wonderful, scary, crazy and truly amazing adventures. A lot of these so-called adventures have occurred in the company of the opposite sex. Well, the experiences that have left the most impression on me. My girlfriends and I get into some crazy situations too! I'm hip!

Men are interesting creatures, especially when they begin to think you have the smallest interest in them. For some reason, they turn into complete cads and think they have to be assholes to get the point across that, no, they don't want to hook up with you. Dude, I will get the point without you being a complete dickhead and telling me about some stupid obscure story that is slightly offensive to all women. Thanks, but no thanks. I'm smart enough to get subtle hints.

So, the other night after my improv class, we all went out for drinks to try to "get to know each other." This class, for some reason, has only 5 women and 11 dudes. I walked in on the first day like, "Am I in the right place?" Lots o beef. Oh yeah. Or not. So, we're all out at the bar, sharing our other creative ventures besides improv, so I mention that I write a dating blog. The one dude (we shall call him J-face) says to me in the most pompous tone, "Oh, yeah like you didn't get that idea from Sex and the City or anything. Real original."

Literally, I was in shock. I wasn't even flirting with the guy or asking for his opinion for that matter. I just wanted to hang out and have a few beers with some compadres, but for some reason single women are seen as predators (I will eat you alive if you don't watch it!). His statement and the way he said it was just so unnecessarily aggressive. He continued to say completely inappropriate things to me the rest of the night, almost like a little boy pulling a little girl's hair to let her know that he liked her and that he probably had a potential career as a spouse abuser in the future. Congrats to you!

J-face says that I can interview him for my blog (oh joy!), so I begin to interview him about his dating life. Turns out, he has a girlfriend and has had one for the past six months, but prior to the girlfriend, he had been just dating around with no objective. A bit like what I'm doing at the moment. Also, turns out, his answers were boring and not even worth writing about.

We ended up getting into a conversation with another improv buddy (E) of mine about dating. J-face decides to give him advice with the ladies. He tells E (who is adorable, hilarious, and 23 years old), that in order to break the ice on a date, he should tell a joke. I was like, no way, just be yourself. The joke he told E to tell was, and I quote, "What type of bees produce milk?... Boobies!" What? Am I suddenly 11 years old again and feeling extremely uncomfortable about a joke referencing the female anatomy? Yes.

This is the mentality of some of the men I come across in my humble (yet awesome!) life. I totally shot down the joke idea, but my advice didn't go over so well. I mean honestly, if some guy told me that joke on a first date, I would pretend that I wasn't really his date and there was some sort of mix-up.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great and amazing guys out there, and I know this. I mean, I keep telling myself this. It's like a mantra of mine. I know some of these amazing guys. They do exist! They are not unicorns. They are real. It's just the super lame ones always stick in my head, because of all of the idiotic things that come out of their mouths. Like jokes about boobies.

Oh! And I was telling my friend about J-face the other night. She told me that our friend had actually gone out on a date with him a few months ago, and he was a complete ass on the date (shocker!). She found out later that he had a girlfriend. One word, classy.

3 comments:

Jennifer G. Horn said...

Hi gorgeous! Did J-face realize that show's been over for almost ten years? He's doesn't exactly, how you say?, have his finger on the pulse anyway.

Bridget said...

ugh, men. Oy vey. Suddenly I'm 60 and kvetching.

Unknown said...

Hi Annie! I love your blog! You're hilarious. You can count me as reader #6!

By the way, I told my 7 year old niece the boobies joke recently. She thought it was hilarious. But I guess she's mature for her age. - Michelle