Sunday, March 9, 2008

Dropping the Ball, Dropping the Ball

(The title of this post should be sung to "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest). Ok, so I seriously dropped the ball and haven’t kept my promise. I hope you can forgive me! I’ve been busy being lazy and watching marathons of Project Runway and Make Me a Supermodel. What would I do without Bravo!? I would probably be a LOT more productive. The writers strike incidentally provoked me to write.

Recently I have been bombarded by engagements. I have yet to receive a proposal, but the guy at the bodega has been eyeing me for months! Hey cutie! One of my best friends from college who is currently living in Philly called me a week or so ago to tell me that he proposed to his girlfriend of four years. It's about time buddy! As I was on the phone with him, I said, "You know I'm going to cry. I'm gonna cry." (I do have emotions. I’m not the vacant shell that you all think I am). And he knew I would. We have been friends long enough for him to know these things about me. He also told me that two of our other friends recently asked their girlfriends for their respective hands in marriage. Woah! What’s going on in Philly? Seriously. They are all in their late 20s and all engaged. And as you all know, I just entered my late 20s and am extremely single.

My best friend from childhood also got engaged. I found out from her facebook. I love social networking sites! I can spy on people who I have seen for years and years! My boss got engaged recently too. It was totally unexpected for me, because she rarely talks about her social life. She’s good at the separation of work and play. Me, I’m not so good at that. I’m constantly talking about the dates I go on and the guys I have crushes on. Most of my office has my blog link. I’m still not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe just a thing.

Personally, I’m not sure if I ever want to get married. I know plenty of perfectly happy married couples, but I’m not 100% on all the “values” of marriage. But that’s besides the point. It’s just insane to me that amount of people who are getting engaged all around me! It’s all happening at once and freaking me out a bit.

My former coworker probably went to one wedding every weekend (if not two) over each summer that I worked with her. She would always say to me, “You just wait until all of your friends start getting married.” I guess I just never thought it would start happening or I never knew when it would. She had a closet full of bridesmaids’ dresses, which I am so not looking forward to. I mean, that is, if I am chosen to ever be a bridesmaid. Don’t want to get my hopes up for a great dress that I will probably feel uncomfortable wearing for the entire wedding! I mean, that I will love. Yes. Definitely. I always wondered why she never sold them; she told me that she saw them as trophies and found them to be hilarious. I agree.

Anyway, I am nowhere near to be prepared for marriage or anything close to it. I haven’t been on a date for about a month (been busy with … stuff… yeah I have lots of things to do). I was at a happy hour with some girlfriends the other night and I couldn’t even muster up the courage to go talk to a cute guy who was very obviously checking me out for the entire night. I was just having too much fun with my ladies, and my seat was pretty awesome so I didn’t feel like moving. And I didn’t feel like expending the effort at the moment. Being in a serious relationship takes a lot of effort to frequently be expended. At this moment in my life, I’m perfectly happy being me and being able to be me. It’s selfish, but I don’t care! I’m also justifying why I’m single, but I don’t care!

The thing that gets me most about the impending weddings is that most of the people getting married are exactly my age, and I can’t fathom feeling like that right now. It makes me feel jealous and relieved all at the same time. It also makes me realize that I’m taking my time with the dating for a reason. I’ve dated enough assholes and I’m not really in the mood to date one right now. I’d much rather go out on random dates and have no responsibility tagged on with them. If they turn out to be an asshole, then I only have to see them once. Done and done.

Ah, yes the peculiarities of life. How wonderful. It’s all well and good that I can say that I can’t imagine being in a serious relationship, when it could honestly happen at any moment. I say that I won’t be prepared, but when is anyone ever prepared for the things that just seem to happen in your life?

I’m still wondering why that cute boy at the happy hour never came up to talk to me. Seriously, he was staring me down. Every time I would look in his direction, our eyes would meet. Maybe I should have just compromised my seat for the possibility of having a good conversation over a beer. Maybe next time. (The seat was pretty awesome).

No comments: