Monday, March 10, 2008

Online Speed Dating = ?

My roommate sent me a link to this online speed dating website, "www.speeddate.com," so I figured why not try it out! I'm in the mood for trying new things lately as is evident from this here blog. I hadn't had a chance to look at the website until tonight, when i decided to take a break from packing for my overseas adventure. Well, my trip for work, but still...

The basic concept of the site is you can peruse the eligible bachelors and possibly start an IM conversation with one, if he is also online. It functions as a normal dating sight, but gives you the option to actually "talk" to someone instead of sending an email that might just be ignored. I think I might like the email being ignored better than the onset of an IM from someone I may not really want to talk to.

I was checking my messages on the site, and let me tell you, there were a lot. They were all from dudes in their 40s living in the Midwest. Um, what? You are obviously wasting your time. I'm a city girl, boys! And, apologies, but 40 is too old for me at the moment. I'm still dealing with the fact that I'm going to be 30 in 3 whole years. Oh the horror! Thirty is actually not old at all, but it's fun to joke about it. Especially when my friends in their 30s read this blog. Hey oldies! I hope your walkers don't break.

So, anyway, I was perusing the single dudes online tonight for about 5-7 min (I've been saying that all day for some reason), and an IM pops up. I freak out and don't know what to do, so I log out immediately. What is wrong with me!? It's the internet. It's not like I'm actually out at a bar and have to talk to someone in person. He wrote, "Hey!" Nothing too complicated! Hello, Anne! A simple "hi" back probably would have been suitable.

I'm so not equipped to be dating. I'm a moron sometimes. I am really tired from the packing, which I should probably be getting back to. I'll see you all on the other side, and hopefully I'll grow a pair and be able to talk to a dude online.

1 comment:

Jennifer G. Horn said...

As a 33 year old, I am wholly offended. If it weren't for my sciatica, I'd hunt you down and kick yer butt, whippersnapper.

Hell, I'm lucky I could read this, what with the cataracts.